The Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS), Canada’s national hazard communication standard, has incorporated the Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labeling of Chemicals (GHS) – an internationally recognized standard for hazard classification and communication.
Who Should Take It
Under the current Occupational Health and Safety Code of Alberta, employers are required to ensure that there is a system in place where workers are trained on the hazardous information about the controlled products that they work with or could come in contact with.
This course is designed to support those who are currently working with controlled products and/ or those worksites that have controlled products on the worksite:
• Lead Hands
• Workers (office included)
• Yard Crews and the Logistics Department
• Health and Safety Committee Members
Although there are many benefits for learning about the elements of WHMIS (GHS) and designing a site-specific program, some benefits include but are not limited to:
• In order to comply with legislated requirements, worksites are required to implement measures for identifying and working with controlled products.
• Identifying the hazardous information that is important for employer awareness and protection
• An element of the health and safety program for Alberta Partnership requires WHMIS training with Certifying Partners and the audit process
• Upon successful completion of this course, trainees will b able to recall the concepts of WHMIS and apply them to their workplace.
• Roles of suppliers, employers, and workers
• Legislation that applies to WHMIS (GHS)
• WHMIS (GHS) Classification System
• A detailed breakdown of Supplier Labels and Workplace Labels
• A detailed review of the elements found on MSDS
• Elements to implement a WHMIS (GHS) program at your worksite
This is offered at various levels: train the trainer to customized / site specific (2-hrs-2days) sessions. Once the participant has completed the course a quiz is completed to ensure a minimum level of competency is realized for WHMIS (GHS).
Contact ISI for details on locations and dates for this course as well as ask our company representatives about site-specific training on WHMIS (GHS).